Wednesday 12 December 2012

Meet Sara Newman, our newest Roost recruit




Let us introduce to you Sara Newman; our latest designer here at Roost Living. We've been working with Sara to bring you a special item designed and made exclusively for Roost Living. We caught up with her to ask her all about where she finds inspiration, her workspace, and how she finds that all important work versus life balance. Here’s what she had to say...

When and why did you decide to be a designer?

My background is Interior Design, hotels in particular. That began back in the mid 90s. Fast forward to 2008 and, as our family grew, I put my career to one side. Soon after, my innate need to craft inventive gifts has grown into a creative business; Sara Newman Design.

What are you main creative influences?

My grandmothers and great aunt were creative, my uncle is an artist and a lot of my friends are creators and thinkers. Life influences me.

Where do you find inspiration for your work?

In the artwork and stories of graphic novels, tattoo art and model villages.

What aspect of your work gives you the most pleasure?

Seeing someone else’s eyes light up when they click with what I’m doing.

Where are you most creative?

In my head! I spend a lot of time dreaming and planning.


What's your workspace like?


I work from home, at a huge carbon fibre and aluminium table that was designed and built by a friend.

How do you describe your style?

Crisp, intricate, playful.

What are you currently working on?

Some glassware for the Christmas Arcade at Somerset House. It’s a pop-up shop run by Handmade In Britain in conjunction with Somerset House.

When you first started out, what was the best advice you received?

Nothing in particular, I’ve just always been around people who are not afraid to create.

What advice do you have for other designers starting out?

Believe in what you do or you cannot expect anyone else to.

How do you achieve a work/life balance?

I’m still searching for it!

What are you other passions?

Dancing I guess, but it’s a living room dance floor these days.

What is your favourite food?

It’s a close call between chocolate mousse and pavlova – with raspberries and maybe some thick cream. 

What is your greatest weakness?

My children.

Orchid Glass now available online

No comments: